Saturday, August 9, 2008

Cross Contamination?

Tonight About a half an hour after dinner I began to get horrible abdominal cramps. That is usually the first indication, now that I know what to look for, that I have eaten gluten. (followed by gas, swelling all over, restlessness, vomiting, diarrhea, and hives) Since I had cooked for myself, using tested ingredients I was sure it wasn't from the food.

Wrong
After I began to wonder how I could have eaten gluten, I realized that I had accidentally stirred the food with the wrong utensil. I grabbed a spatula that I had used to flip my husband's quesadilla made from flour tortillas.

The Lesson is: BE CAREFUL TO AVOID CROSS CONTAMINATION, even when preparing your own food.

So my poll question is: If your or a family member has a gluten allergy, have you "banned" wheat products from the house?

1 comment:

H.Peter said...

Tough to cook for two different kitchens.
My wife is Celiac, our daughter is on a GF diet, but myself, I can eat it all.

We compromised a lot in our house to avoid those cross contaminations. If I bring home my own bread (once a week), it is being moved with my own utensils and spreads to a very far corner of the kitchen. Washing up happens in the sink and not the dish washer.

So far so good. Hope you find your safe way to eat fearless in your own house