Friday, August 15, 2008

MMMMM Chocolate

I am going grocery shopping and I was thinking about buying a chocolate dessert. Since I'm a foodie I can be extremely picky, and I wanted to share with you my feelings on two products I have previously purchased.

The first is Arrowhead Mills Gluten-Free Brownie Mix. (here)
Following the package directions I baked an 8X8 pan of brownies. The brownies were appropriately chocolaty, and had a decent texture that was like regular brownies with Rice Krispies in them. I would buy this mix again. The only drawback, other than they need to be baked, was that the mix cost twice as much as standard brownie mix and made half as much.
I rate these a 5 on a scale of 1-10.

In order to keep my family out of my brownies I made them a pan of standard brownies for themselves.

The second product was Nana's Gluten-Free Chocolate Cookies (here)
I have to say that I was so disappointed with the cookie I bought that I wanted to cry. It didn't taste like chocolate OR cookie, the texture was gummy and it had little sweetness. The flavor was more like brown beer bread.
I rate these a -1 on a scale of 1-10

And lastly, I've tried Glutino Gluten-Free Chocolate Wafer Cookies (here)
These are excellent cookies that don't require any cooking. They were like the wafer cookies my parents bought when I was young, only with more chocolate. They were satisfyingly chocolate without being too rich, and reasonably priced. One of the best advantages to these was that my local major grocery store carries them and I didn't need to make a special trip to the health food store for them. The only drawback I have found to this product is that I can't stop eating them and usually finish the bag within 24hours, which means I'm out of sweets until the next trip.
I rate these 9 on a 1-10 scale, and they won't get a 10 until Glutino quadruples the package size.

When I get groceries today I want to pick up this brownie mix. I've wanted to try it for awhile, but it is significantly more expensive than some other brands.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Hi Cat:

I added you to the gluten-free blog list that I have in the right hand side bar of my blog. I keep it on my Crispy Cook 2 site so that I can keep amending and updating it. Every once in a while I will post it again to Crispy Cook 1. Good luck with the gluten-free lifestyle; it does get easier as time goes on.